CentralPAfishing.com

Recent Comments on CentralPAfishing.com

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Fishing Report: Black Moshanon Lake


A fishing partner and I hit the Black Moshanon Lake for a few hours in the evening. This lake is very tough to fish because of the abundance of vegetation. Of course you have to fish in the “Salad” to catch fish. Our target species of the day was old Mr. Largemouth. I manage to land two fish in about three hours of fishing and one that came unbuttoned near the boat.

We tried several different worm baits however all the largemouth I caught and the one that was lost hit a seven inch Yum Dinger. The color of choice was pumpkin and chartreuse. Due to the very dense vegetation my rigging technique of choice was to tex-pose the bait and then “skin hook” it. No weight was used. This allowed me to drag my bait across the top of thick vegetation and when it reached an opening simply let it drop through.

Pattern
If you’ve ever fished this lake before, you know that the fish burry themselves deep in the “salad” on sunny days so you have to get your bait in there with them. I focused my fishing efforts on areas where the thick vegetation ran adjacent to the old deeper creek channels. In particular, where the vegetation formed “points”. I pitch my bait back into the thick stuff and let it drop in small openings between lilies.

Weather
Very Sunny. Air temps in the 80’s

Water Conditions
Stained. Water temps in mid 60’s

No comments: