CentralPAfishing.com

Recent Comments on CentralPAfishing.com

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Fishing Report: Small Central PA Creek



I was on my way to a meeting and as I crossed a bridge just below the confluence of two creeks I notice that one was very muddy. There had been scattered thundershowers throughout the day. None hit very hard in the local area but, judging from the chocolate milk colored creek, upstream of us must have been hit much harder. The water level was still very low but there was a lot of material being washed down the creek including food! Any time I see conditions like this in the summer I know the fish are bound to be strapping on the feed bag.

I had an hour to spare so I quickly found an access point to the muddy creek and started casting. During that hour I landed seven smallmouth bass and two rock bass. Five of the fish were 10”-12”. Two of the fish came in at 13” and 15” on the nose.

Bait
Here we go again. I sound like a broken record. A couple of the fish came on a 4” Yum Dinger. The biggest and most fish where caught on 5” pumpkin/chartreuse Yum Dingers. I rigged the baits tex-posed with no weight.

Pattern
No real pattern was established. I only fished one thirty-yard long hole but I picked it apart from top to bottom. The small fish were caught in the riffles at the head of the hole. The bigger fish were caught in the main hole, which is about 4 feet deep and 15 yards wide with large chunk rock that sometimes reaches the surface of the water.

Water Conditions
The water conditions were a key factor influencing the fishes feeding activity. Water temp was probably around 70 degrees. Visibility was less than one foot. Water was the color of chocolate milk. Water level was still very low.

Weather Conditions
Overcast and air temps in the 70’s. Scattered showers. The overcast conditions were also a contributing factor in the fish’s increased feeding activity.

No comments: