CentralPAfishing.com

Recent Comments on CentralPAfishing.com

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Cold water and a light bite on the Little Juniate River, Tyrone



The wind was blowing and the water was C.O.L.D on the Little Juniata River this weekend. Initially I found the hits to be very few and far between. Fighting the wind and the huge bow in my line was a chore in and of itself. I finally developed a good casting strategy and found a great spot to fish. Once I located a "honey hole" the bites came on almost every cast however the bite was so light that I missed and lost more fish than I caught. I managed to land 6 smallmouth in about 3 hours of fishing. All were between 12 and 13 inches.

Pattern
I found fish in about 4 feet of water holding in a current break created by a mid stream bridge piling combined with a very distinct "shelf" running parallel to it. Given the cold water and colder than usual air temps, I believe the fish were holding in this area due to the fact that it was receiving some very nice direct sunlight.

Baits
Yes, once again I went with my time tested YUM Dingers in the 5 inch variety. As usual the pumpkin and chartreuse color seemed to attract the most attention. I was having a lot of trouble with missed fish and fish that came unbuttoned. Quite honestly I have never experienced this level of difficulty hooking up in the past. I went to a circle hook and "wacky" rigged the bait. This seemed to help.

Water Conditions
Due to recent rains and colder than usual air temps the water was chilly. Exact temp not known. Water was murky. Visibility 2 feet or less.

Weather Conditions
Air temps in the low 60's. Mostly sunny with very few clouds. Very windy!

Time of Day
2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

No comments: