CentralPAfishing.com

Recent Comments on CentralPAfishing.com

Saturday, May 06, 2006

A big day of smallmouth Juniata River, Lewistown

My son and I headed out to the Juniate River today to test our gear and some new baits. In 3 hours of fishing we landed 11 smallmouth bass included this 18.5 inch beast. Yes folks it was measured by my de-liar. Most fish were in the 14-15 inch ranged. My son lost a fish just as big as the one pictured above at then end of a hard fought battle. The fish came unbuttoned just 1 foot from the boat. The consolation prize for my son was that he out fished me 6-5. Typically, when he out fishes me, I send him for a little swim when he's not looking. Today the water as a little on the cold side and there was a little wind chill so I cut him a break....this time!

Pattern
We fished mid river locations around large boulders and current breaks. Most fish came in 5 feet of water. We also picked up a couple of fish in deep water areas around bridge pilings.

Baits
We used both Yum Dingers and Baby Blue Eye's stone cats. Yum dinger were split shot rigged either texposed or nose hooked. We basically just drifted the baits with the current and made sure there was enough weight to keep contact with the bottom. Baby Blue Eye's were fished with a slow retrieve "ticking" the bait of the bottom

Water Conditions
Visibility 2.5 feet. Water level below average for this time of year. Water temps were probably in the high 50's.

Weather Conditions
Sunny with some clouds. Air temps around 60 degrees.

Time of Day
10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

No comments: